As anyone who read my self-absorbed, whiney blog from yesterday, you will know that I have been in a serious funk the past few days. So today I took my dear friend Heather’s advice and searched out my happy place by implementing some of my favorite things in life into my day.
Here’s a couple things I did to make myself smile today:
1. I wore my Grass perfume. GAP has recently reintroduced my all time favorite scent (still only available in outlet stores or on ebay though) to the masses. I have been rationing my supply for so long in fear that I would run out, so when we encountered a GAP outlet while on our honeymoon, I smooth stocked up. I’m not ashamed to admit that today I doused myself in the stuff. My apologies to any who walked by me at work today and wondered if someone had mown the grass and not changed their clothes. I love the smell of a freshly cut lawn, even on my body:)
2. I cleaned my kitchen. Although I hate the actual task of doing dishes, I LOVE walking into a clean kitchen the next evening when I get home.
3. I pre-programmed a huge pot of coffee to be waiting for me when I wake tomorrow.
4. I talked to the kids about their very first Open House at school tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to seeing where they spend their days, and they are really looking forward to showing me absolutely EVERYTHING:)
5. I drank a Bud Lime (seriously.. how can anyone NOT love this stuff??) and sang karaoke in my (clean) kitchen. Although Jalyn’s room technically has the best acoustics in the house, she was trying to go to sleep, so I turned up my tunes in the kitchen and sang my little heart out. Ironically, Heather, one of the first songs I belted was “Anyway”. Closed my eyes and pretended I was in Laughlin with all my buds.
6. I searched out some fantastic new music to listen to while I worked. AOL has two great sites that put up new cds every Monday for your listening pleasure before they are released the next day. I’ve discovered many many great artists this way. Today I stumbled across a girl named Lenka. Wonderful stuff. Google her if you’d like.. she has a lot of music posted on her myspace page as well.
7. I went and had Chinese food for lunch with my good friend Allison. I also lent her two books (YEAH!!). This may seem like a small thing, but Allison isn’t much of a reader really. So when she told me last week that she had recently devoured the entire Twilight series, I made it my personal mission in life to introduce her to some other books that she will enjoy. I’ve got my fingers crossed that she will enjoy the ones I chose for her.
So there you have it. Small, simple things in life… but what can I say? They all make me happy. What about you? Do you have certain things that push your happy button and pull you out of a funk?