In a moment of extreme sweetness (or extreme ignorance… I’m not quite sure which, LOL), my girl Peggy over at Stir Crazy in the Suburbs has given me a Mom of the Year Award!!
Isn’t that awesome!!??? Unfortunately, I got really busy with…well, being a mom… and didn’t see my award for a few days after she posted. (Sorry,
Peggy !!) But the tardiness of my acknowledging her award definitely shouldn’t overshadow the excitement I feel about it.
There are just a few rules re: this award. Here’s the first:
1. Admit one thing you feel awful about involving being a mom.
Sadly, many things are popping in my head right now. Of course, I need to filter out some of those thoughts– I can’t have you guys thinking I’m not worthy of this award that has been bestowed up on me. So here’s my answer: I’m not so proud of the fact that I raise my voice a lot. I don’t like loud noises. I don’t like people yelling at me, at each other, at anyone, so I know my kids can’t like it either. Why, God why, do I feel like it’s an effective way to get my kids to listen? I know it isn’t… if anything, it just makes the situation worse & certainly makes me feel crappy. On to a happier subject matter….
Rule #2: Remind yourself why you are a good mom.
Well, I am proud of the fact that my kids and I do a lot of fun things together. We love to go to the park and the library together. I try to take them to fun local events when possible as well. I also have not a single doubt in my mind that my kids know I love them more than anything in this world. We are cuddly, huggy and snuggly in this house:) I am also proud of the fact that my kids are well-mannered. I’ve spent a large majority of their life teaching them to be respectful of their elders and to always say please and thank-you. (Doesn’t always work out, but hey- I try, right??). (*side note* Did anyone else notice how I had no trouble at all rambling on about the good things about my parenting skills, LOL???)
Rule #3: Send this to five other Moms that deserve the Mom of the Year Award and remind them that they are the best moms they can be! Remember to send a note to those you selected so they will be sure to receive their award. I guarantee it will make their day, just as it did mine! Thanks, Peggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s hard to pick just five– many of my bloggy friends are amazing moms!
1. My sister-in-law, Kristy, has FINALLY started a blog. She has three beautiful children (4 and under.. oh.my.god.), and is definitely a SuperMom! Please go visit her at The DK Family.
2. And for a girl who can be just as dirty as the martinis she loves so much (and she’s a mom with the mostest): Kathy at 2 Kids…3 Martinis
3. This girl makes me laugh uncontrollably ever time she picks up her pen/keyboard. And any woman who can convince her son that he’s holding an extra large q-tip when he’s gotten into her tampon stash…well, that alone deserves an award: Go see Sam at My A Cup Runneth Over
4. A fellow book lover who not only makes me think with her insightful writing, but also makes me realize that in order to be a GREAT mom, you must take care of yourself & your emotional needs as well. This one’s for you, Cyndi… you are truly So Much More Than a Mom.
5. And last, but certainly not least, Lil’ Jenn. Jenn lived in OKC but recently relocated to Washington. We miss her around here, but know that it is fantastic for both her, and her FOUR boys to be close to her family. (Yes, you read that right. Four boys. WOW!) Please go show her page some love at Thoughts of a Lil’ Jenn so she’ll come visit us in bloggy world more often!!