It’s finally here…my favorite time of year! I consider the holidays my personal Xanax, serotonin release, mood enhancer–whatever you want to call it. In honor of the holiday season arrival (regardless of what the weather seems to think-it’s awfully sunny & warm for November!), I thought I would compile a list of my past and present random thoughts about the most wonderful time of the year!
1. Lights– Nothing makes me happier than twinkle lights (as anyone could tell by looking at my wedding photos:))
2. Snowmen- I surround myself with snowmen, which I collect throughout the year to ensure that I have them in every room. Blankets, candle holders, doorknob decorations, wineglasses, pillowcases–I love it all. I believe my fascination with snowmen began when I was a mere tot, and listened to my vinyl of Frosty the Snowman 365 days a year (much to the chagrin of my father, I am sure) on my Fisher Price record player. Along with Frosty, it had a gem of a tune that went like this- “Santa’s stuck in the elevator, can we get him out on time??”, a little ditty dedicated to kids who always asked the question, “What does Santa do if we live in an apartment building and there are no fireplaces?”. Although I couldn’t relate to the apartment predicament, we did not have a fireplace, so I often wondered if Santa came through our floor furnaces, LOL!
3. Music- Holiday music holds a special place in my heart, and probably began with that fated Frosty record mentioned above:) My favorite albums that I’ve accumulated over the year stend lean towards contemporary recordings of class holiday songs, such as SheDaisy’s Brand New Year, Clay Aiken’s Merry Christmas with Love (I don’t care what anyone says about him- that boy can sing O Holy Night like nobody’s business!), Martina McBride’s White Christmas, Sarah McLachlan’s WinterSong. These are probably the albums I listen to most throughout the season. I purchase a new one every year as a treat to myself- I think this year’s purchase will be Green & Gold by Sugarland.
4. Childhood- Christmas as a parent has fully made me appreciate my holiday experiences as a child even more. The holidays were magical in my house. I fully admit that I was a spoiled rotten child. I vividly remember gifts that I received throughout the years- an awesome little table with chairs that I used in my room for games for many, many years; the Smurfs board game; a wicker peacock chair; Cabbage Patch Kid roller skates; pink sweatshirt with hand-painted unicorn which nicely complimented my unicorn collection; a bed tent (does anyone else remember those? They were amazing! I want to get some for the kids, but can’t find any nice ones.) But even more importantly than the fantastic gifts, the traditions we had were what I really treasure. The Christmas Eve & Christmas Day dinners with family. I was always so excited to spend time with all my cousins. My mom would make the most delicious Christmas treats, such as homemade Chex Mix (which I still look forward to as an adult:)), almond bark covered pretzels, green cornflake holly clusters, peanut brittle…I could go on and on. I am trying desperately to create these same kind of memories for my children. I think Christmas is even MORE fun as a parent, getting to see the beauty of the season through your children’s eyes.
5. Family time– Every year, OKC has what they call “Downtown in December”, where our downtown area is full of wonderful family events for the entire month. Last night we kicked off the season by going to see the downtown tree lighting, and then taking a water taxi ride down the Bricktown Canals. An absolutely wonderful way to spend an evening and see all the downtown lights & decorations. I hope to make it an annual affair. Other fun events offered include snow tubing, ice skating, touring the lights of the Myriad Gardens and holiday river cruises. Most events are free on Sundays, so I plan on fully taking advantage of them this year.
I could go on and on and on regarding all the things I love about this special time of year:) But I’m more interested in hearing what YOUR favorite things are!!